2 red velvet cake mixes
2 containers chocolate fudge frosting
1 package square chocolate dipped cookies
Red licorice strips
• Begin with two of your favorite red velvet cake mixes, and the prescribed amount of eggs, oil, and water from the back of the box. [You could also use any cake recipe from the internet].
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees [very important!]. Grease an 11 x 16 roasting pan [or other large rectangular baking pan]. [I like to spring for the actual cake-release spray from the baking aisle, to make sure nothing ever sticks].
• Mix ingredients together, and pour into pan until about 2/3 full. Depending on the size of your cake pan, you may have extra batter. If you do – this is an excellent opportunity to make some bonus cupcakes, either to eat – or as a cool matching accompaniment to your finished cake display.
• Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Cake should appear evenly golden on top [not glossy], and not “jiggle” at all when you open the oven door. If you’re still not sure, insert a toothpick gently into the center to make sure no wet batter sticks to it when you pull it out.
• Cool cake completely before inverting it onto a tray or cookie sheet. Tap the bottom gently until the cake plops out, then flip it once more onto the tray you want to display the cake on.
• Using a butter knife, lightly trace the outline of a classic coffin onto the top of your cake. Adjust the lines until you like the look of it. Use a ruler to trim away the cake to make your final shape, keeping the knife as straight as possible.
• Use a rubber spatula to scrape both containers of chocolate frosting onto the top of your cake, distributing it evenly across the top. Gently cover the entire top over the cake with frosting, and push it over each edge.
• Use a butter knife or metal frosting spatula to smooth the frosting along the edges. It doesn’t matter if you pull up crumbs – we will cover them up in the next step.
• Place the chocolate covered cookies along the edges of the cake, creating a clean border. [ If your cookies are too tall, you can trim them with a sharp knife on a cutting board and place them along the cake, cut edge down].
• Trim licorice strips and place them along the top to decorate the top, or fill a frosting bag and write your birthday message. Fin!